DATA BREACH NOTIFICATION FROM TURKISH ECONOMY BANK A.S.
10 March 2020
In accordance with the provision of article 12 paragraph 5 of the Law on the Protection of Personal Data, Turkish Economy Bank A.S. (“TEB”) sent a notification to the Turkish Data Protection Board (“the Board”) on 05.03.2020. With this notification, TEB has informed the Board as a data controller on these subjects;
- The breach occurred between 01.01.2018 and 28.01.2020 and detected on 02.03.2020,
- The breach has been occurred in the way that the bank employees shared the result information of Risk Center of Bank Association of Turkey with the third parties via their personal phone
- The personal data affected by the breach is information about the credibility of the persons concerned (Loanable, Non-Loanable)
- The number of relevant persons affected by the breach could not be determined exactly, but 2,317 people who were not Bank customers, 6,917 people who were Bank customers may have been affected by the breach,
- Data subjects would be able to receive information about the data breach at firstname.lastname@example.org, www.teb.com.tr and call center by phone number 0850 200 0 666.
It has been stated in the public announcement published on the website of the Board that the investigation on the subject is still ongoing.
You can find the text of the public announcement (in Turkish) here.
Should you have any queries and/or remarks, please do not hesitate to contact us.