AI HLEG : POLICY AND INVESTMENT RECOMMENDATIONS FOR TRUSTWORTHY AI
The European AI Alliance Assembly
27 JUNE 2019
The European Commission's High-Level Expert Group on AI (“AI HLEG”) released its Recommendations for Policy & Investment in Trustworthy AI yesterday.
These Recommendations consist of two chapters : (i) Using Trustworthy AI to Build A Positive Impact in Europe, (ii) Leveraging Europe's Enablers for Trustworthy AI ; and focus on four main areas, where the Trustworthy AI can help achieving, (i) humans and society, (ii) private sector, (iii) public sector, (iv) Europe’s research and academia.
The report presents a set of policy and investment recommendations on how Trustworthy AI can actually be developed, deployed, fostered and scaled in Europe.
The main takeaways of the Recommendations are as follows :
- Empowering and protecting humans and society,
- Taking up a tailored approach to the AI landscape (understanding the sensitivities of AI solutions in B2C, B2B and P2C contexts, both as digital products and services),
- Securing a Single European Market for Trustworthy AI (the avoidance of market fragmentation, for instance through the harmonisation of legislation where appropriate, while at the same time maintaining a high level of protection of individuals’ rights and freedoms across all Member States),
- Enabling AI ecosystems through Sectoral Multi-Stakeholder Alliances,
- Fostering the European data economy (“data-driven economy”),
- Exploiting the multi-faceted role of the public sector,
- Strengthening and uniting Europe’s research capabilities,
- Nurturing education to the Fourth Power (establishing a work-life-train balance),
- Adopting a risk-based governance approach to AI and an ensure an appropriate regulatory framework,
- Stimulating an open and lucrative investment environment,
- Embracing a holistic way of working, combing a 10-year vision with a rolling action plan.
You can access the Recommendations for Policy & Investment in Trustworthy AI here.
Should you have any queries and/or remarks, please do not hesitate to contact us.
 The AI HLEG is an independent expert group that was set up by the European Commission in June 2018. They previously published Ethics Guidelines for Trustworthy AI (as their first deliverable), on 8 April 2019.