GUIDANCE FROM UK’S INFORMATION COMMISSIONER’S OFFICE AND ALAN TURING INSTITUTE ABOUT ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”), the independent authority of information rights in the UK, prepared a guidance about artificial intelligence (“AI”) collaborated with the Alan Turing Institute, which includes practical advice to explain the process, services, and decisions offered or supported by AI.
The guidance is divided into three parts and Part One is about the basics of explaining AI. This part is especially important for organizations that are thinking about using AI. Organizations can benefit from this part of the guidance to understand the basic definitions, legal requirements, benefits and risks, and principles to follow.
Part Two aims to explain AI in practice. For this purpose, the guidance includes six basic tasks to be taken to help to design and deploy appropriately explainable AI systems. These are;
1. Select priority explanations by considering the domain, use case and impact on the individual,
2. Collect and pre-process your data in an explanation-aware manner,
3. Build your system to ensure you are able to extract relevant information for a range of explanation types,
4. Translate the rationale of your system’s results into useable and easily understandable reasons,
5. Prepare implementers to deploy your AI system,
6. Consider how to build and present your explanation.
Finally, Part Three explains what AI means for organizations. This part can be advantageous for organizations that want to complete the last steps of using AI. This includes coordination of the organizational roles such as identifying people who have key roles in the decision making and the actions to take in case of using an AI system supplied by a third party. Besides that, this part contains policies, procedures to adopt and the documents to prepare. This part also has information about the data protection legislation, especially the GDPR.
You can find the Guidance here.
Should you have any queries and/or remarks, please do not hesitate to contact us.